Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bigotry and Fear Still A Problem In America and Athletics

When I was a kid I was a huge Tim Hardaway fan.

He was short, quick, and could handle the ball like a world champion yo-yo player. Some of you may remember his "Killer Crossover" or "UTEP Two-Step". More than anything else, his lack of height proved that you didn't have to be 6'6" to be an All-Star. I used to want to be Tim Hardaway.

Now not so much. Last week on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket, Hardaway was commenting on the recent admission by former NBA Center John Amechi, that he was a homosexual. Hardaway said the following: "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." When asked how he would interact with a gay teammate, Hardaway said,

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

Hardaway also stated that if he did find out that a teammate was gay, he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

It seems that not much has changed over time. People still have there hang ups about one group or another, but to be so blatant and forthright about it is completely shocking to me. Hate is a strong word. I often say that there is no person that I hate. To state that you hate an entire group of people based on a characteristic shows your ignorance and stupidity. Statistically, it is probable that Hardaway had a gay teammate during his NBA career and did not know it. I'm sure that he dished the rock and received passes right back from said player (no weird sexual overtones there..he he).

I'm really frustrated that my childhood hero has such hatred in his heart and soul. I would hope that a person coming from a history of degradation would have a different outlook. Like I said not much has changed over time. Except my admiration of Tim Hardaway.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home